Today is just 1 of 365 days out of the year that I should let the world know how grateful I am for all of these things, but, like most people, I get lazy and tend to forget how blessed my life has truly been. So….
1. I am thankful that I am loved even if I act like an ungrateful brat sometimes.
To continue, we’ll begin with the basics, because those truly are the best gifts in life. Without further adieu….
2. I am thankful I have a mother as wonderful as mine. I could drag on and on about the things she does for me but just know she’s the bomb, ok? Thanks for half of my DNA, Ma. You da best.
3. I am thankful I have a father who puts up with my shit and lets me be my own person. Again, I could drag on and on about how great he is but you couldn’t begin to comprehend how much I appreciate his stupid puns and when I question whether he loves me or the cat more. Thanks for he other half of my DNA, Daddio. You equally da best.
4. I am thankful for a sister who is equally as active aggressive as me and calls me out on everything. You’re the one keeping me real, and I appreciate that, Lil Homie.
5. I am thankful for a brother who gave me enough strawberries and bruises when we were young to last a lifetime, but shoving me off retaining walls has made me tougher. You’ve influenced who I am more than anyone else and your farts smell awful but I still love you.
6. I am thankful for my Mimi and Papa and this one will be sentimental and serious because they have been my support system for 18 years now. They love me, shelter me, care for me and I will never be able to put my graciousness into words for all that they’ve done. They are my rocks and inspiration and I can’t imagine who I’d be without them.
7. I am thankful to have two guardian angels, the first being my Nana whom I love with all of my heart and miss more every day. The second is Jordan Tyler Dunham, who was taken from this earth much too soon but I know he’s up there waiting for us with a big plate of pizza rolls and Guitar Hero, jamming some Van Halen.
8. I am thankful my parents divorced because…
9. I am thankful for my step-mother. It takes a special kind of person to love my weirdo father and his children by choice. But you’re stuck with us now, sucka.
10. I am thankful for my step-father being an outlet for my smart-assery and giving it straight back to me. Oh and all of our championships.
11. I am thankful for my step-sister, Heather and that she is a pure example of working hard for what you want. Also, she puts up with our weirdness all the time too so ya know.
12. I am thankful for my other three step-sisters, Annie and Sarah whose beautiful babies are the loves of my life, and Taylor who is mature beyond her years and is always good for a laugh, a passing partner, or someone to just hang out with and fight over brownie batter.
13. I am thankful that I have two dogs, Layla and Zelda, who love me because they’re dogs and they don’t have any idea how awful I can be sometimes.
14. Even though I hate to admit it, I am thankful for my cat. He’s a douche but he’s our douche.
15. I am thankful that I have always been provided for and had food on the table.
16. I am thankful to have two beautiful homes, even if the renovations in one are making me break out in hives at the moment.
17. I am thankful that I have the most intelligent, good-looking, funny best friends to ever exist. You all know who you are and what you mean to me. You are my home away from home and you’re never getting rid of me.
18. I am thankful for my senior class of 2015 because we have rocked the SOC, the standardized tests, the faculty and administration, and I’m pretty sure there are some people out there who are terrified of us.
19. I am thankful for group messages because how else would my friends communicate?
20. I am thankful to have had such a successful volleyball career with the best team mates and coaches around.
21. I am thankful for naps.
22. I am thankful that I live in a country where the flag flies proudly and the right to free speech, religion, assembly, petition, and press are specifically outlined in the core of our country.
23. I am thankful for the men and women who are much braver than me, who fight to keep that flag waving proudly and those freedoms at the core of our country (Psssst Meg that’s you).
24. I am thankful that the people who decide to burn that flag, our symbol of freedom, are granted the right to do so even if they don’t understand or appreciate the system which grants them said right.
25. I am thankful for free thought.
26. I am thankful for language and the ability to communicate.
27. I am thankful for music and the effect is has made on my life.
28. I am thankful for education and my zeal in being educated.
29. I am thankful for JAX Theatre allowing me to express one of my passions while making friends along the way.
30. I am thankful for Enid Claxon, Mike Lovenguth, Emily Harner, and Brian Oakes for being the four teachers and their generosity throughout my high school career.
31. I am thankful for Vocal Point, a family.
32. I am thankful for Nos Ama for humbling me and giving me the opportunity to help others communicate when they feel isolated.
33. I am thankful that I serve a kind, loving God.
34. I am thankful that I found a place where I can be at peace in the Catholic Church.
35. I am thankful for the salvation and release of pride which confession allows me.
36. I am thankful that Christ gave his life for mine.
37. I am thankful for science and discovery because they are the basis of progression.
38. I am thankful that I have been granted the opportunity and ability to attend the college of my choosing.
39. I am thankful that I have a bright future ahead of me.
40. I am thankful for humor because it is essential to who I am, the way I choose to communicate with others, and something I refuse to live without.
41. I am thankful for this BOMB FOOD I’M ABOUT TO DESTROY.
42. Especially gravy.
43. I am thankful that there is still a glimmer of hope that I could own a hover car one day.
44. I am thankful for books and math because they are my aphrodisiacs.
45. I am thankful for geologists because they do the jobs that I literally never want to do.
46. I am thankful for Netflix.
47. I am thankful for sunny days when I can see all of God’s glory and rainy days when I have to search for it.
48. I am thankful for make up because let’s be honest.
49. I am thankful for people who support other people with an open mind and accept the notion that we cannot control one another.
50. I am thankful to be human, to be alive and well.
51. I am thankful that I have all of these things and more for which to be thankful.